What is Green Building?
Green building is a "Whole-Systems" approach for designing and constructing buildings that conserve energy, water, and material resources and are healthier, safer, and more comfortable.
In practical terms, green building includes:
- Using sun and wind to the building's advantage for natural heating, cooling, and daylighting
- Landscaping with native plants and using water efficiently
- Building quality, durable structures
- Insulating well and ventilating appropriately
- Incorporating salvaged, recycled,and sustainably harvested materials
- Maintaining healthy indoor air quality with appropriate building techniques, and materials
- Using energy-efficient and water-saving appliances/fixtures
- Reducing and recycling construction waste
Green Building Materials
The Green Building Material Resource List (PDF) provides names of the manufacturer of each product in the Display as well as their phone numbers, website (when available), and contact information for some local distributors.
Search Build it Green's Green Product Directory & Database to conveniently locate suppliers of green building products within the Bay Area. Their Directory may be searched based on ZIP codes, Product Category, Keyword, or by measures referenced in various Green Building Guidelines or Bay-Friendly Gardening Guidelines
The Green Building Materials Display was custom built to promote the use of sustainable building materials. The Display is usually located in the Application and Permit Center at 30 Muir Road, in Martinez. The following provides examples of materials, their features, and uses.
Display of these samples should not be construed as an endorsement of any specific product by Contra Costa County or as a recommendation to use one product instead of another. Information regarding the samples included in this display was obtained from the manufacturers and has not been verified
Close up images of each product and material on the Green Building Materials Display can be found below.
Boards & Panels
- Environ® Biocomposite
- Fiberock® Underlayment
- Medex® MDF
- Dakota Burl®
Paints, Stain, & Finishes
FSC Certified Wood